Sunday, November 14, 2010

Samson had a little trouble settling in. The other horses picked on him, and he got bites and scratches. A few days after arriving he was moved (with the rest of the herd) to a narrow but long tree paddock. The next morning I came he was in the paddock next to it and had scrapes down the back legs. I imagine he got chased over the fence because the top two wires were down. Shortly after getting him I bought a light winter rug, and got his feet trimmed. Due to the overnight trucking, and the new paddock and stress, he lots a little weight.I started feeding him soaked barley twice a day, along with a little bit of whole oats, oaten chaff and a non-heating complete feed.

He picked up condition. I began to start working him in the round yard about purchased a bridle and lunge roller. It was going okay until I was teaching him a one-rein stop. He panicked and pulled away - to be expected - but I made the mistake of not wearing gloves and let the rope wrap around my hand, and I think my little finger is now broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment